If you are just starting to realize the importance of flowers in your home and want to do it yourself, start off simple. Even a single flower can have a huge impact. For special occasions you might want to work with a professional floral designer. Just make sure that you let them know what effect you are going for and where the arrangement will be placed.
Already know the power of flowers? Then here are some simple tips/ideas:
- Just like fruit and vegetables use flowers that are in season. They will be at their peak, usually priced right, and may not be around to enjoy again until the same time next year.
- Use color to complement your decorating scheme or to create a mood. Cool colors such as blue are calming while bright colors such as orange or yellow are dramatic and create a sense of excitement.
- Use containers that you already have around your home. Be creative--if it can hold water it can hold flowers. Even if it can't hold water you can make it a vase but inserting a small can or glass into a vessel that may have a crack or not be waterproof. Some containers that I love to use are old pitchers in ceramic, glass, and metal, silver bowls, colanders, watering cans, juice glasses, tin cans and boxes. Just have fun with it!
- But flowers in unexpected places such as bathrooms, hallways, nightstands, windowsills, etc.
- Combine flowers with other interesting elements such as fruit, vegetables, mosses, leaves, pinecones, and ornaments. These elements will change depending on the season and holiday.
- Use water tubes when placing flowers in unusual places such as when using them at place settings or putting them onto a wreath.
- However you decorate with flowers, check the water level in your vase every day and add water as needed. Remember flowers need water to live. Misting them will also help especially if the water supply is minimal.